What Does It Take to be a Good Student at Lafayette?

Wyatt Talboo

School notes and homework laid out across a desk.

Have you ever wanted to get a good grade in a class but struggled to find a way to do it? I decided to research and interview teachers on what they thought was essential to success in high school, college, and work. This success could be getting a good grade, understanding a topic, or finishing a project.

One of the most important tips to succeed in your academic career is studying. It is the best way to ensure you have a topic memorized and ready to test. Homework will help, but looking back on your notes and concentrating on only notes will help. I found a good resource called academictips.org that gives tips and information on studying.

Another vital way to improve your understanding of a topic is to do homework. Most of the time, students procrastinate and do homework at the last minute or do it right as the project is assigned, but I don’t think that is the best way. I like to do it early and then look at it throughout the week until it is due. Using this manner to study may take a bit longer, but it is an excellent way to ensure the information is learned and understood. A good way to look at this is to ask yourself, “If I have a pop quiz on this topic today, would I ace it?” If the answer to this is no, then maybe look at it again before class.

Being engaged in class is essential to being a good student. Asking questions in class is less stressful than emailing a teacher the night an assignment is due. This communication will show you want to improve and care about the topic. One way to do this is by taking notes, asking questions, and paying attention.

Time management is a crucial part of being a good student that many struggle with while in school. There are a few different techniques on how to do this. The first is to create a schedule. Determine what events in your day are essential. Then, figure out what is not necessary and can be removed. Finally, add some breaks and buffers if things are longer than expected. Another technique is getting everything done early so you can rest towards the end of the day. This technique can be more complex and tiring but can give you much-desired free time, which is okay.

This last tip is from Mr. Hackman in the engineering department. His suggestion is to stay focused in class. “For example, they [the most successful students] stay focused on the lesson and do the assigned work on time,” he says. “Then, and only after these things are complete, do they bring out their phone or start playing games.” He also thinks completing reading the assignment before beginning work is a big part of success. “They will read the expectations first, then complete the work, then circle back and double-check their work versus what was expected in the assignment to correct any misses.” This strategy is good advice for anyone who wants to be successful in their schoolwork, jobs, or any other task that must be done well.
I hope this story helped give you some advice on being a better student and using your time wisely. I will leave you with one last quote from Thomas Edison, “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.”