Best Summer Jobs for High School Students

Sasha Jacobs

Lafayette student trying to pick their summer job. Lexington, Ky.

Most teenagers get their first jobs during high school summers, so here are a few ideas to help you get your first or your next job for the summer.

With summer, many young kids will be out of school. Some parents will need someone to care for their young children while they are at work, or they just need extra help. Getting a job as a babysitter over the summer wouldn’t be very challenging because kids need to be watched and cared for. Many parents are willing to pay good money for the extra help because they will need it. Kids are a lot to care for, and sometimes parents get tired. You will have the job if you have experience and know what you’re doing. Babysitting might include reading stories, feeding, taking short trips to the park, or putting a child to bed. Ensure you know what parents expect from you as a babysitter.

Morgan Brown babysat last summer for a family down the road from her. She says, ¨it was hard some days but other days, it was a lot of fun. It’s definitely not a job for the weak, especially when there are multiple children. Sometimes there will be arguments and disagreements, and you have to know how to not pick favorites and not always side with the same child. You have to make sure you consider both sides of the argument and decide after you have seen both sides.¨

If it’s your first job, try looking at places that will be comfortable hiring people with no experience. Fast food restaurants and grocery stores will often be your best bet, as they hire younger workers than most other establishments. Places like Kroger and Mcdonald’s are almost always hiring, so getting a job there will be easier than in other locations that often hire more experienced workers.

Make sure you plan. When summer starts, students will be flocking to get jobs anywhere they can. Apply before school is out, so your application is ahead of the crowd. Also, try and think outside the box. Everyone will be looking to work at pools and ice cream parlors, so think of other places that might not get as many applications during the summer.

Lesser known locations are more likely to hire high school students as they might not get as many applications. For example, small, local businesses or local restaurants and coffee shops might not get as many applications as Starbucks or Marshalls. Another good way to find a job as a high school student is to talk to friends and family. If you know anyone who runs a business, try talking to them.

Wherever you get your first job, if you put your best foot forward and put as much effort in as you can, any job can be good.