• Seniors: Register to vote no later than April 22 to vote in the May Primary
  • Spring Break is April 1-5
  • Seniors! Look for information on our Senior Edition on our Instagram account!
  • Check out our Twitter and Instagram @lafayettetimes

What is McLeod’s Coffee House?

This is the inside of McLeods Coffee House’s dining room, taken on September 15th, 2023.

McLeod’s Coffee House was established in 2019. Brewster McLeod, the owner, created this business as a retired pastor from Southland Christian Church. He opened McLeod’s Coffee five months before the COVID-19 pandemic. In an interview with LEX 18, McLeod said, “We opened five months before COVID. It’s been the hardest thing in my life. At 65 years old, I didn’t think I’d be doing the hardest thing,” but his business pushed through, and thankfully, they still stand strong today.

The mission of McLeod’s Coffee House is to provide job opportunities, a safe space to work, and an outlet for socialization for people with special needs. There are 30-40 employees, or “VIPs” as McLeod calls them, who make up their staff. Everyone hired gets to play a part in their inclusive and welcoming business. McLeod’s goal with this establishment was to create a place for the community but also a safe place for the VIPs. He made it not as a permanent solution but as a stepping stone for his staff with special needs. It’s to open new opportunities for his team and give them a wide range of possibilities in the future.

The cafe decor is composed of vintage pieces. Many different seating arrangements are placed throughout the dining room. It is an excellent space that helps portray their inclusive and welcoming atmosphere. The open seating and decorations allow people to recognize their welcoming community. The menu is mainly cafe classic drinks with some food items and seasonal items. They also sell donuts from Donut Days Bakery.

We tried a few items from there to get a feel of what they had to offer, and everything was your average cafe items. The Chicken Salad Sandwich was delicious, and the Iced Mocha Joe was also excellent. Their drinks have a good balance of coffee and flavor. The most expensive thing on the menu is their Chicken Salad Sandwich, which sells for $7. They have croissants, sandwiches, donuts, and seasonal pastry items. Their drinks include chai, teas, lattes, macchiatos, cappuccinos, hot chocolate, and other beverages that switch out occasionally.

When coming to McLeod’s Coffee House, you may be coming for a coffee. Your patronage supports a local business, supports a cause, and walks into the opening arms of Brewster McLeod’s wonderful coffee shop. If you ever have the chance to stop by, we would highly recommend it.

McLeod’s Coffee House is at 376 Southland Drive, Lexington, KY. They are open on all days except Mondays. Tuesdays through Saturdays are open from 8:00 am-4:00 pm. On Sundays, they are open from 8:00 am-2:00 pm