• Seniors: Register to vote no later than April 22 to vote in the May Primary
  • Spring Break is April 1-5
  • Seniors! Look for information on our Senior Edition on our Instagram account!
  • Check out our Twitter and Instagram @lafayettetimes

Locks for Addiction

Isaac Critchfield
A heart shaped lock hung up on a purple fence for Locks for Addiction on Newtown Pike, Lexington, KY. Photo taken on Sunday, October 9, 2023.

Notice anything on Newtown Pike? You may have seen a purple fence with many locks on it as you were driving by. Those locks represent individuals who have or currently are struggling with addiction. Addiction is a hard thing to overcome, and some people never do. This fence is used as support to many people, ones that have lost loved ones to addiction, and ones that continue to live with it in their past.

Pam Stamper started this initiative in 2021, and it has only grown since. Many people have found comfort in this fence, as shown by the 300+ locks on it. She says “It’s to be for the public or anybody that’s in recovery, that’s in addiction, or that has lost anyone to addiction. So feel free to stop by and put a lock on this fence.”

The frightening science behind addiction is worth understanding. Addiction can affect humans in many damaging ways. Whether it be drugs or alcohol, it can harm the frontal cortex in our brains. Most of the decisions that keep people addicted to substances are because of the damaged part of their brain which can impact their decision making, especially when they are deep in addiction.

“A common misperception is that addiction is a choice or moral problem, and all you have to do is stop. But nothing could be further from the truth. The brain actually changes with addiction, and it takes a good deal of work to get it back to its normal state,” says Dr. George Koob, the director of NIH’s National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. “The more drugs or alcohol you’ve taken, the more disruptive it is to the brain.”

If you or somebody you know is struggling with addiction, remember there are many resources available online to help you. Addiction can have serious consequences and it is a very devastating disease. Locks for Addiction is an amazing way for the community to remember loved ones and inspire others.