• Seniors: Register to vote no later than April 22 to vote in the May Primary
  • Spring Break is April 1-5
  • Seniors! Look for information on our Senior Edition on our Instagram account!
  • Check out our Twitter and Instagram @lafayettetimes

What is the best Halloween candy?

Isaac Critchfield
Photo of a pumpkin bucket full of candy in a dark room. Photo taken on Sunday, October 9, 2023

Trick or treat is an annual tradition enjoyed by many people, and, in my opinion, a crucial part of it is the candy! Although many teenagers no longer trick or treat this year, it can still be a good thing to know if you want to get your friends a spooky treat. According to Google, the top ten most enjoyed candies in America are M&M’s, Starbursts, Hot Tamales, Sour Patch Kids, Hershey Kisses, Snickers, Tootsie Pops, and Candy Corn. But instead of just following these statistics, we decided to ask a few students their opinion on what the best Halloween candy is.

The contenders include: York (Peppermint Patties), Sour Patch Kids, Reese’s
(Pumpkin Shaped), Kit-Kats, Hershey’s, Snickers, Twix, Almond Joys, Milk-Duds, Dots, Nerds (Clusters), 100-Grand, Life Savers (Gummies), Candy Corn, Tootsie Rolls, Twizzlers, Swedish Fish, Whoppers, and M&M’s.

Here are the results:

In a collective last place with 1 vote: Whoppers, Swedish Fish, Tootsie Roll, 100-Grand, Dotz, Hershey, and Almond Joy. I assume that it is because a lot of these candies are not that well known or popular. This can result in less people even thinking about these candies and in turn voting for them.

In second place with 2-6 votes: Twizzlers, Life Saver(gummies), Milk Duds, York, Candy Corn, Nerds(Clusters), M&M’s, Sour Patch Kids, Kit-Kats, Twix, and Snickers. These candies are a bit more well known for better, or for worse.

And now, for the moment you have all been waiting for, the overall winner is Reese’s with the overwhelming 19 votes! Reese’s (according to Google) is Kentucky’s favorite candy. It’s also a very well known candy, therefore boosting the votes.

Now, for the everlasting debate of whether chocolate or fruit candy is better.

Considering that 68% of answers from the favorite candies question were some form of chocolate and only a mere 32% was fruit flavored candy, I believe it is obvious that chocolate takes the automatic win with this. But, to be sure, we asked 23 students which one is better. Out of a pool of 33 voters, chocolate got 14 votes, Fruit got 6 votes, and others got 3 votes.

Well, there you have it folks, according to the vote, the favorite Halloween candy at Lafayette is Reese’s Peanut Butter cups/pumpkins and chocolate is typically favored over fruit flavored candy. So, how about you? What’s your favorite candy?