• Seniors: Register to vote no later than April 22 to vote in the May Primary
  • Spring Break is April 1-5
  • Seniors! Look for information on our Senior Edition on our Instagram account!
  • Check out our Twitter and Instagram @lafayettetimes

Effects of Social Media on Teens and Children

Cynthia Guevara
A collage made by Cynthia Guevara, of popular social media apps on the internet.

Social media has had a big negative impact on our world. Since smartphones came out, social media apps like Snapchat, YouTube, Tumblr, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and the newest edition, TikTok have risen in popularity. Since the release of these apps, children have spent most of their time online on these apps.

According to the Local 12 News of Cincinnati Ohio , “Kids spend more than five hours daily on social media or playing video games. Thirty-two percent of teens surveyed said they were online for 5 to 6 hours, 17 percent reported being online for 7 to 8 hours and 13 percent said they were online nine or more hours a day”. The amount of time spent on social media is equivalent to a school day or longer.

During this social media time, teens compare themselves to the people online. They compare their hair, clothes, body, and face to photos found on social media. This causes problems in young people because it causes them to question themselves and want to do things to reach this unattainable image. Some children have developed eating disorders and unhealthy habits to try and fit into the image that social media has created of the “dream image”. According to Local 12 news, they conducted a survey to prove most kids spend more than 5 hours a day on social media, in the article states, ”Fifty-eight percent of teens…said social media has made them feel sad or poorly about themselves.” Since these children feel bad about themselves this will lead to mental illness’s that builds up on the need to look like the image social media has made.The comparison of themselves to others online will be endless.

Social media has caused a big problem in how children feel about themselves. Not only are kids hating how they look due to social media, but they are also developing mental illnesses like depression and anxiety at a higher rate. A new study by Psychologist Jean Twenge at San Diego State University shows how teens and young adults who spend a substantial amount of time on social media platforms are 13% to 66% more likely to report depression than their counterparts who do not use social media. This association appears to be more than just a coincidence, as increases in smartphone use have also been reported to be relatively proportional to increases in depression.

In conclusion, social media has hurt our world. Social media is one of the leading causes of declining mental health in children and teens today. Thanks to social media, children worldwide feel the need to obtain an unattainable image. Next time you open social media, look closely to see that the “influencers” online only show 1% of their life. There are plenty of other things to do than being on social media. Maybe consider spending time reading, writing, walking, visiting the park, or other activities that make your life more enjoyable.