• Seniors: Register to vote no later than April 22 to vote in the May Primary
  • Spring Break is April 1-5
  • Seniors! Look for information on our Senior Edition on our Instagram account!
  • Check out our Twitter and Instagram @lafayettetimes

Why Lafayette should have more school dances

Logan Gwynn
The Lafayette High school’s sign for Prom on April 14th, 2022

The 2022-2023 school year just started, and many students are already anticipating the upcoming Homecoming dance on November 4th. During a regular year at Lafayette, the school hosts two school dances, the Homecoming dance in November and the Prom, which lands sometime in May in the spring semester. In the past, Lafayette hosted a Senior Dinner/Dance. We could expand this idea to include other grades to not only make money but also to be a great experience for all students instead of one grade level. This leaves a very open window from December to April to have another dance.

Not only would another dance benefit the student body, but the school as a whole. It could give new opportunities for fundraising to help with sports, clubs, and the arts.

Some options for the dances could be a winter formal that could be held throughout the gym and cafeteria. Dances like these are usually hosted between December and February. A surrounding school in Franklin County, Kentucky, hosts an annual winter formal for its students. Another option is to host a Sadie Hawkins, where the girls ask people to the dance rather than vice-versa.

While interviewing students about what dances they would like to see in the future, Ashlynn Jones, a Lafayette sophomore, responded, “I think a Sadie Hawkins dance would be really fun and something new for the school to try out. Plus, some friends and I have talked about wanting to go to one, so I know other people would enjoy it too.”

During an interview on whether Lafayette should host more dances, many students agreed that we should. Logan Gwynn, a Sophomore at Lafayette, said, “I think Lafayette should have three dances each year, including their Homecoming at the beginning of the year and their prom dance at the end of the year, with some sort of fun dance event in the middle of the year.”