• Seniors: Register to vote no later than April 22 to vote in the May Primary
  • Spring Break is April 1-5
  • Seniors! Look for information on our Senior Edition on our Instagram account!
  • Check out our Twitter and Instagram @lafayettetimes

Lafayette High School’s Haunted House review

The entrance to room 137, where the haunted house took place, with a themed banner stating Welcome on it. Photo taken October 30th, 2023.
Logan Gwynn
The entrance to room 137, where the haunted house took place, with a themed banner stating “Welcome” on it. Photo taken October 30th, 2023.

Haunted Houses are a fun way to get ready for Halloween. Ms. Mullins and her Fashion and Interior classes took it upon themselves to grant Lafayette the opportunity to get in the spooky spirit by putting on a haunted house. Addison Smith, a sophomore at Lafayette and a student of Ms. Mullins, said, “I feel like this experience helped students show off their work, and it was really exciting to see our work come together.” This haunted house took place in the Controlling Stress classroom, Room 137. This event happened on October 30th, 2023, during the 3rd and 4th blocks. The admission tickets were $1.

Someone came to get classes from their rooms to walk to room 137. They grouped you in groups of 5, and soon after were sent in. You may wonder, “How did they fit a haunted house into a singular classroom?”. They used their space effectively and planned a solid pathway with good scare spots and wide enough pathways so you didn’t feel cramped. As you were waiting outside, you could hear the screams coming within. Then, once they were ready for you, there were loud pounds on the door, indicating you could go in.

It was a very dark maze due to the lack of lighting and black plastic. Many people were working in this haunted house, popping at you left and right. There were many dark hallways with fuzzy pipe cleaners sticking off of walls and various other decorations scattered throughout like glow sticks. After walking through a stretch of hallway, you were greeted by someone telling you, “Your hand belongs in one of the three to find the button that will set you free.” There were three containers with Orbeez in them, and to get to the next area, you had to find the button. After making it to the next room, you see a clown scene with clown actors. The next room had a dead actor on the floor and someone in a box that stuck their head out and screamed. You walk into another dark hallway with Coraline and the Other Mother waiting for you. The hallway led you to a lit-up room with blood and signs saying, “Come play with us” and “Tell me I’m pretty.” Many people were jumping out at you dressed in bloody gowns and makeup. You were then screamed out of the back door of the Controlling Stress room into the bus parking lot, being screamed at until you got back to the bus foyer doors to get back inside.

This was a unique haunted house by Ms. Mullins and her students. It had great scares and felt longer than it was. My walk-through was just about 2 and a half minutes. They fit a lot of entertaining and scary scenes in just one room. Tessa Franklin, a junior at Lafayette, said,” I loved the intensity to which the different actors played it up; they committed to their roles. As well as the different scenes I caught a glance of.” Hopefully, this will become a returning event next year. This was a big hit among students, and it got people ready for Halloween. Thank you to everyone involved for creating such a fun event!