• Seniors: Register to vote no later than April 22 to vote in the May Primary
  • Spring Break is April 1-5
  • Seniors! Look for information on our Senior Edition on our Instagram account!
  • Check out our Twitter and Instagram @lafayettetimes

The Importance of High School Electives

Mirabel Anderson
Image of Grade 11 schedule card for the 2024-2025 school year. Taken January 26th, 2024.

Lafayette High School provides approximately 114 different elective courses. These electives range from Performing Arts to Engineering and Technology and many more. Various electives benefit students at Lafayette because they allow them to find a future passion and discover something new.

High school electives benefit students’ schedules because they can help them discover passions they may have in specific areas. It can also help recognize any talents that they may have. Having electives allows students to discover different skills. They help students have a more personalized schedule and enjoy their school day more. For example, a student may be interested in becoming a lawyer but need clarification on what it entails. This student would be able to take an elective such as Criminal Justice, and that class may help them determine whether or not they want to pursue being a lawyer in college.

Having high school electives also allows students to meet new people who have the same interests as them. Meeting people in high school is important because as students continue into college, they will know of people with the same interests as them who may study similar things.

While high school electives can lead to lots of personal growth, taking specific electives can also help students stand out to colleges they may be applying to. Because of electives, students can show the colleges the variety of classes that they took in high school. For example, if a student is applying to college to major in architecture, taking a civil engineering or architecture elective in high school will give them some beginner experience and show colleges that they have a background in the field.

Lafayette is lucky to have various electives for students and their differing interests. Lafayette has 17 art electives, 16 business and marketing electives, one visual performing arts elective, 9 English electives, 13 family and consumer sciences electives, and six physical education and health electives. Not only that, but there are five computer sciences electives, 23 performing art electives, one science/social studies elective, 15 world language electives, and eight engineering and technology electives. These numbers also include the different levels of the classes, for example, French One and French Two.

To conclude, taking high school electives benefits students, so Lafayette requires ten elective credits to graduate. Some of these are preparing you for college, expanding your interests, and adding various classes to school. Lafayette has a diverse range of electives that students can take, and as you begin to fill out your schedule cards for next year, consider the wide variety of options available.