• Seniors: Register to vote no later than April 22 to vote in the May Primary
  • Spring Break is April 1-5
  • Seniors! Look for information on our Senior Edition on our Instagram account!
  • Check out our Twitter and Instagram @lafayettetimes

Lafayette’s Potential News Club

Ethan Abrams
A picture of the emblem for the potential Lafayette Times News Club. Photo created 2/6/24.

Many schools across America have a News Club where students create a news broadcast to cover local events and stories and share it with school staff and other students. Students and teachers at Lafayette may greatly benefit from creating a school news club. The Lafayette Times News Club could help spread awareness about what is happening in and around our school. If we were to implement a club of this type in our school, there would be a new weekly video. These videos could have future information about school events, local weather, trending Lafayette Times articles, sports events, and interviews with teachers and students.

We would like to start a news broadcast club to help spread the news around the school more easily and quickly. We will need help from other students. We are looking for more people to apply for positions to help bring these videos to fruition. Below are the roles we would like to fill.

The scriptwriter will help put together the work the researchers have conducted throughout the week to help make a script for the anchors and hosts to read off during broadcasts. We are looking for multiple people to fill this role.

The researcher would be responsible for looking up and confirming information to put into the weekly video. This is important because this club can not disseminate information that will misinform the students. The Code of Ethics for Journalists says you have to have accurate work and verify information before releasing it. This will be very important for researchers to consider when assembling weekly research.

We are also looking for an editor. This person would take the raw footage from filming and edit it down to a quick and easily consumable format. The editor could use iMovie, CapCut, or other editing software to cut out bloopers and add effects to spice up the weekly videos.

Lastly, we are looking for anchors. Anchors would be on camera for the videos. These anchors would be in charge of their specific sections of the script, whether it be weather, sports, or articles from The Times. These people will have their specific section of each week’s video.

This News Club would be an excellent way to make school knowledge accessible to students and faculty. If you are interested in doing a specific section on the news, you can be an anchor for a specific section, like arts, sports, or weather. There is also a researcher, a scriptwriter, and an editor. The News Club would be a great addition to the existing school news, The Lafayette Times.