• Have a great summer, Generals! See you next year!
  • Graduation May 30th, 2024, 10 at Rupp Arena
  • Check out our Instagram @lafayettetimes

Featuring Art Courses At Lafayette

One of the art rooms at Lafayette High School. Photo taken on May 20th, 2024.

To graduate, Lafayette students are required to get three credits in an arts pathway or take the Visual Performing Arts class. From animation to digital design to crafts, our school offers a wide variety of art-related courses that can give you not just credit but fun and valuable lessons, so there’s something for everyone! Art courses offered at Lafayette include Art 1, Crafts, Drawing 1 and 2, Painting 1 and 2, Beginning Pottery, Pottery 2, Visual Art: Sculpture, Digital Imaging, Interactive Design (Film/Animation), Advanced Moving Image Animation, Introduction to Media Arts, Two-Dimensional Media Design, Advanced Production Design, Media Arts Internship, and AP 2D Art & Design.

In Art 1, students are introduced to the elements of art, principles of design, and concept development through a series of projects. Similarly, students in Crafts focus on functional artworks based on the craft industry through projects like papercrafts, macrame, crocheting, knitting, sculpting, jewelry-making, and more. Drawing helps develop foundational drawing skills using imagination and observation through portraiture, character development, architecture, etc. Painting allows students to use acrylic, watercolor, and oil to explore varied subjects while developing their concepts.

Pottery is great for someone who is looking for more hands-on instruction. In this class, students will work with clay to create cups, mugs, bowls, and other sculptures. On that note, Visual Art: Sculptures teaches students to utilize materials to create sculptures and three-dimensional artworks.

Digital Imaging dives into the use of photography as an artistic tool. Interactive Design (Film/Animation) introduces the skills of animation development, interface design, and social media applications. Advanced Moving Image Animation is the second level of this course, in which students build on skills associated with character design, animation, filming, special effects, and editing. Introduction to Media Arts (1st level), Two-Dimensional Media Design (2nd level), and Advanced Production Design (3rd level) are for those who are interested in graphic design or commercial arts. In these courses, students use computer software to create logos, graphics, illustrations, and other digital art. For a majority of the abovementioned classes, students have the opportunity to obtain a certification in Adobe software, which can be extremely useful for future career opportunities.

Media Arts Internship allows students to use these skills with real work-site experience in media arts. Keep in mind these types of classes most likely involve a heavy workload and consistent homework. On that note, students looking for a more rigorous art course may be interested in AP 2D Art & Design. In this class, students can develop a professional portfolio and earn college credit by creating in-depth art projects. Likewise, AP Art History entails analysis of painting, photography, architecture, and sculpture from different periods and discussion/understanding of visual arts. AP Art History does not count for an art credit, but it is still a fun and educational class if a student is interested in the subject!

To better understand Lafayette’s art classes, we spoke with Freshman Jack Shapiro, who’s currently taking Art 1. Shapiro said that his class teaches him new ways to draw and that they typically practice their skills and complete projects for classwork and homework. He also added that he could easily apply the lessons he’s been taught if he ever needs to sketch or draw something for someone. Art can potentially be useful not just for a career, but for artistic entertainment in daily life! When asked if he would recommend this class to other students, Shapiro told The Times “Yes, because it is an easy class that is just super fun all around.” So, if you’re looking for a laid-back and stress-free art class, this might be the one for you!

Lafayette offers a multitude of courses that allow everyone to have an opportunity to enjoy learning about the arts. If you’re not sure about your career or how to get your graduation requirements for art, take one of these classes! Even if it seems unnecessary, art skills teach valuable lessons and appreciation that could be incredibly useful in the future.