Hollywood 2017: Which five films were the year’s finest?

Jack Renaud, Staff Writer

2017 has shaped the film world for many years to come. From women’s exceptional representation in cinema to the allegations leading to the downfall of certain men of the industry, this has been one hectic year in Hollywood. Regardless, this year has had what I consider to be the best year in film since the year I was born, in 1999. Box office smash hits that turned to critical successes, to the little movies that could. These are my five best films released in the past year.

5. The Big Sick

An interesting turn on what could’ve been a cliche date movie, Kumail Nanjiani plays himself as a stand up comic, disapproving of his parents consistent practice of arranging his marriage. He meets Emily, and the two begin dating.  Out of nowhere, Emily finds herself in a coma, and Kumail finds himself having to meet her nervous parents.  Based on a true story, Nanjiani gathers a comedic ensemble, including stellar performances from Holly Hunter and Ray Romano as Emily’s parents.

4. Lady Bird

One of the most easily loved films this year, “Lady Bird” follows its self titled protagonist as she struggles with High School troubles, such as finding the right friends, boys, and where to go to college. The most reviewed film to maintain a perfect film rating on Rotten Tomatoes, Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf can certainly be awaking to Oscar nominations in a few weeks.

3. Baby Driver

The most fun I had at the theater this year, Edgar Wright crafts a soundtrack heavy, adrenaline pumping, engine revving movie, all centered around “Baby”, a getaway driver for a local crime boss, and decides he doesn’t want the life that lies ahead in crime. Having its action sequences rely heavily on music for different editing cuts and sound effects – All you need is one killer track

2. Get Out

Jordan Peele’s directorial debut had the world shocked. Shining light on racial issues, despite being deemed a “Comedy or Musical” by the Golden Globes, “Get Out” follows Chris, a black man heading to his white girlfriend’s family for the weekend. Her extremely kind family, as well as Chris’ discoveries, this getaway soon turns into a nightmare. Racking up regional film critics awards, particularly for Peele’s script, it’s becoming a forgone conclusion this film will be on the Best Picture ballot come Oscar Sunday.

1. Call Me By Your Name

Behold, the actor who is featured in two movies on this list (“Lady Bird” being the other) – Timothee Chalamet. He portrays 17-year-old Elio, who spends his summers in Northern Italy with his parents. Oliver, an American graduate student comes to visit Elio’s father to study for the summer. Elio and Oliver soon begin a summer romance unlike many I’ve seen before. Alongside the chemistry between the Chalamet and Armie Hammer (“Oliver”), Michael Stulhbarg delivers a heartwarming performance as Elio’s nurturing father, especially his monologue at the end of the movie, where he tells his son “Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.”