Sadie Hawkins Dance

Rebecca Bishop, Arts Editor/Clubs Editor

The Sadie Hawkins dance is an old tradition in which conventional roles are switched. In common situations, the boys ask the girls out. At the Sadie Hawkins dance, the girls now have the chance to ask the guys out. The Sadie Hawkins dance is named after a girl, Sadie Hawkins, who was created in a comic called Lil’ Abner, written by Al Capp. This comic ran for a successful 40 years, beginning in 1934. Al wrote: “After waiting not-so-patiently for 15 years for a suitor to show up at the door,” Sadie took matters into her own hands and switched the roles to find herself a husband”. So, we have Al Capp and his comic, Lil’ Abner to thank for the Sadie Hawkins Dance.

For this year’s dance, Sophomore Vice-President Lisa Bun tells us, “We wanted a change from the sophomore ring-dinner dance and [are] very glad the seniors will have a Sadie Hawkins before they graduate.” A great idea, especially after the graduating class of 2019’s ring dance did not happen. Many students did not purchase tickets, resulting in the cancellation of the dance. The Sadie Hawkins dance is a wonderful way to get in another dance for all grade levels before the year ends.

According to Lisa Bun, here are some things that can be expected at the dance: Valentine’s themed decorations, many desserts, some hit songs, and some old music favorites. All things that prove you shouldn’t miss out on this dance!

The dance is on February 10th, starting at 8:00 and ending at 11.00. It will be located in the school cafeteria. Tickets are for sale this week (February 5th-9th) for 10 dollars. Tickets will be for sale at the door for 15 dollars.

Girls, or boys, if you want to see others’ proposals to the dance or show your own, follow @lhs_sadiehawkinsdance on Instagram. There are already so many great proposals.

About the Writer
Rebecca Bishop a Junior here at Lafayette High School. She enjoys reading and writing, though her interest in journalism is new. As a member of the Pride of the Bluegrass Marching Band, she has little time to write, though she tries very hard. Many of the articles you will see from her will be about...
  • Sadie Hawkins Dance

Features

Senior Memories 2018

• Sadie Hawkins Dance

Features

How to Not Waste Your Summer

• Sadie Hawkins Dance

Features

Upcoming Senior Events 2018

• Sadie Hawkins Dance

Arts

Eliza Sayers makes appearance on Red Barn Radio

• Sadie Hawkins Dance

Features

This Day in History – May 14th

• Sadie Hawkins Dance

Features

What’s The Deal With Lafayette’s Tree Canopy?

• Sadie Hawkins Dance

Features

Wellness Wednesday

• Sadie Hawkins Dance

Alumni

Tribute to James Cecil

• Sadie Hawkins Dance

Features

Could Snow Days Effect The Length Of The School Day?

• Sadie Hawkins Dance

Features

This Day in History – May 8th

Sadie Hawkins Dance