Celebrating Black History Month

Katy Cornish, Staff Writer

February brings Valentine’s Day, President’s Day and Black History Month. Black History is honored in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and the Netherlands. It originally started off as “Negro History Week” which was founded by Carter G. Woodson in 1926. In the United Kingdom, and the Netherlands, it is celebrated in October.

Originally, the “Negro History Week” was only the second week of February. These dates coincided with Abraham Lincoln’s birthday and Frederick Douglass’ birthdays. However, 50 years later, Black History Month was proposed by black educators at Kent State University. One year after this, Kent State University held the first celebration of Black History Month. Six years later, it was being celebrated all over the United States.

Many people criticized this because it was a dedication of history for one race. In addition, schools are criticized for only teaching about slaves and colonials, and not teaching about the positive role models that were influential. Actors such as Morgan Freeman don’t believe that we need a month dedicated to Black culture. He is quoted to have said, “I don’t want a Black history Month. Black history is American history.” He has also said that white citizens do not have a history month, because white people do not want to regulate their history to one month.

Despite the criticism, Black History Month is celebrated. Many people listen to influential music such as blues and ragtime, and make popular foods including hushpuppies, collared greens, and cobbler. Soul food and Caribbean food are very popular for this month-long celebration.  There are festivals and events in various cities. There is a calendar full of events going on here in Lexington including a showcase for students.

About the Writer
Katy Cornish, Business Manager

Katy is a freshman at Lafayette High School. She is a staff writer for the news section and the business manager for the Lafayette Times. She is also a member of the YSC Teenboard and the Dance Blue committee for Student Council. She enjoys listening to music and being outside. After graduating, she wants to pursue a career in social work. She aspires to go to NYU and get a degree in social psychology or criminal law.

• Celebrating Black History Month

Features

School Board Tax Increase for Safety Upgrades

• Celebrating Black History Month

News

The Truth about Natural Disasters

• News

Stranger Danger! The Risks of Walking Alone

• Celebrating Black History Month

News

NASA’s discoveries

• Celebrating Black History Month

News

Walkouts and Protests by Teachers and Students

• News

Retiring Teachers of 2018

• Celebrating Black History Month

News

The Kentucky Teacher Achievement Awards

• Celebrating Black History Month

News

Freshman Parent Orientation

• Celebrating Black History Month

News

University Research Seminar Night

• Celebrating Black History Month

News

The Royal Wedding

Celebrating Black History Month