ASL Club

Nathan Elsensohn

American Sign Language Club, ASL for short is just one of many clubs here at Lafayette High School. ASL focuses on raising awareness of the needs of deaf/heard of hearing and teaching American Sign Language. Approximately one million U.S citizens are deaf, additionally around three-hundred and sixty million people are deaf worldwide. Being able to communicate with deaf citizens is a great skill to have. Anyone can go deaf at anytime and having this skill in your “tool belt”, is a great way to be prepared for possible future situations.

ASL is a language, just like French, Spanish, or Japanese. So, learning it may take some time and that’s great because ASL meets fairly often. ASL meets every Wednesday after school from 3:30 to 4:30 in room 130. Ms. Susan Waterbury is the club sponsor and sign language interpreter. Students in the club learn about deaf culture and play games relating to ASL, alongside learning the language. No previous sign language skills are required.

ASL is a great club to be a part of and would look great on a college application. Contact Susan Waterbury if you are interested in this club or meet in room 130 at 3:30.

About the Writer
Nathan Elsensohn, News Editor

Nathan Elsensohn is a freshman at Lafayette High School. He was born in Louisiana and moved to Lexington after Hurricane Katrina. Nathan currently enjoys reading, meeting up with friends, and cooking. When he graduates college he aspires to be working in the news media. He is in the pre-engineering program at Lafayette and is acquiring skills he can use for the rest of his life. Nathan is excited to be a part of the Lafayette Times.

• ASL Club

Clubs

Technology Student Association

• ASL Club

Clubs

The Outdoors Club Garden

• ASL Club

Clubs

World Music Club

• ASL Club

Clubs

Lafayette’s Student Y

• ASL Club

Clubs

Update on Bottle Cap Benches

• ASL Club

Clubs

G.I.R.L.S. Club

• ASL Club

Clubs

Board Game Club

• ASL Club

Clubs

The Random Acts of Kindness Club

• ASL Club

Clubs

GSA Introduction

• ASL Club

Clubs

Welcome to Beta Club!

ASL Club