ASL Club

Nathan Elsensohn

American Sign Language Club, ASL for short is just one of many clubs here at Lafayette High School. ASL focuses on raising awareness of the needs of deaf/heard of hearing and teaching American Sign Language. Approximately one million U.S citizens are deaf, additionally around three-hundred and sixty million people are deaf worldwide. Being able to communicate with deaf citizens is a great skill to have. Anyone can go deaf at anytime and having this skill in your “tool belt”, is a great way to be prepared for possible future situations.

ASL is a language, just like French, Spanish, or Japanese. So, learning it may take some time and that’s great because ASL meets fairly often. ASL meets every Wednesday after school from 3:30 to 4:30 in room 130. Ms. Susan Waterbury is the club sponsor and sign language interpreter. Students in the club learn about deaf culture and play games relating to ASL, alongside learning the language. No previous sign language skills are required.

ASL is a great club to be a part of and would look great on a college application. Contact Susan Waterbury if you are interested in this club or meet in room 130 at 3:30.

About the Writer
Nathan Elsensohn, News Editor
Nathan Elsensohn is a freshman at Lafayette High School. He was born in Louisiana and moved to Lexington after Hurricane Katrina. Nathan currently enjoys reading, meeting up with friends, and cooking. When he graduates college he aspires to be working in the news media. He is in the pre-engineering program at Lafayette and is acquiring...
  • ASL Club

Clubs

Student Council End of the Year Wrap Up

• ASL Club

Clubs

NAHS Art Exhibition

• ASL Club

Clubs

Lafayette Girls Tennis Team

• ASL Club

Clubs

Speech & Debate Team

• ASL Club

Clubs

KUNA 2018

• ASL Club

Clubs

Project Euphoria

• ASL Club

Clubs

International Tutoring Club

• ASL Club

Clubs

2018 National Honor Society Induction Ceremony

• ASL Club

Clubs

Step Team

• ASL Club

Clubs

FCCLA Fundraising

ASL Club