International Tutoring Club

Sherri McPherson

Sherri McPherson

Hannah Sever, Staff Writer

The International Tutoring Club, or ITC, is a club that helps students from other countries, learn the English language. These students who attend Lafayette meet every Wednesday from 3:30-5:00, along with student leaders.  Mr. Mitsumori , the teacher sponsor of the club, says “Tutoring often involves tutors who were themselves once beginning English learners.  They often know how to reach students who have arrived recently or who are struggling with the language or having difficulties in a class as a result of not knowing enough English”. ITC  helps the community by helping Lafayette students with English, but they don’t stop there.

They also do various community service projects for the community. ITC has collaborated with Mrs. McPherson and the Y Club for past tree planting projects and the outdoor learning classroom located near Lafayette. They also have worked with Habit for Humanity and the city, in general, to do community projects in neighborhoods and parks. They participate in various fundraisers to support their club and some to benefit other causes. Lastly, they create social events like game nights and field trips for students, at least once a month.

International Tutoring Club also sends a small group of students once a month to Sisohpromatem Art Foundation’s Art Club. The purpose of the foundation is to engage students in self development. The foundation is supposed to stimulate creativity, communication, collaboration, and citizenship.

You might be wondering how ITC became what it is today or what made students want to start this club. It used to be a club for ESL and Latino students from the Youth Service Center for academic purposes. However, now International Tutoring Club is for all students for academic and social purposes. It officially became a club when members went to the SBDM at school to make it an official club. Since 2012, when official officers were voted in, ITC has expanded their leadership team which continues to lead the club. ITC is an involved club at Lafayette that continues to show kindness and a helping hand to all students who need it.

• International Tutoring Club

Clubs

G.I.R.L.S. Club

• International Tutoring Club

Clubs

Board Game Club

• International Tutoring Club

Clubs

The Random Acts of Kindness Club

• International Tutoring Club

Clubs

GSA Introduction

• International Tutoring Club

Clubs

Welcome to Beta Club!

• International Tutoring Club

Clubs

Outdoors Club Introduction

• International Tutoring Club

Clubs

FCCLA Introduction

• International Tutoring Club

Clubs

Spanish Club

• International Tutoring Club

Clubs

French Club

• International Tutoring Club

Clubs

National Honors Society

International Tutoring Club