Speech & Debate Team

Elke Coenders, Features Editor

“The one thing people fear worse than death, and we do it for fun!”

The Lafayette Speech and Debate team is in search of new members for the 2018-2019 school year! The Speech and Debate team has two new coaches, Mrs. Bolinger and Mr. Stancil, who can be contacted for questions about the team. The team currently meets every Friday and holds additional practices throughout the week for individual members. The coaches are willing to work with new members’ schedules, as well.

The Speech and Debate Team goes to frequent tournaments around Kentucky. Members can participate in multiple categories, such as debate, Congress, Duo Improvisation, Declamation, Storytelling, Humorous Interpretation, and more. There are many options open to students, from prepared to on-the-spot events, informational to dramatic, and individual to group. There is something for everyone’s personality and schedule.

Tournaments and meetings are always fun for students, as they get to work with each other, experiment with different forms of speech, and perform. Members have the opportunity to be part of a team, travel to different high schools in the state, be creative, and learn how to communicate and express themselves.

The Speech and Debate Team will hold an informal informational meeting on Friday, April 20 at 3:30 pm in room 230 for interested students. The meeting will be attended by the coaches and existing members. All students and parents are welcome to attend.