The Truth about Natural Disasters

Tierian Lawhon, Staff Writer

Natural Disasters are often underestimated and overlooked by people who are unaffected by them. The truth is, that these hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis, and earthquakes, are ruining more and more peoples lives. Not to mention, these disasters might even be increasing drastically.

The most recent natural disaster that the United States is worrying about is hurricane Florence. However, the most notable hurricanes of last year were hurricane Irma; which did  $64.76 billion in damage and hurricane Harvey; which did $125 billion in damages. Harvey smashed Texas horribly, while Irma hit strong in Florida. Somehow, hurricanes are the least of peoples concerns!

California is considerably the most dangerous state to live in currently,  with wildfires increasing, this poses as a threat for anyone in California. Furthermore, earthquakes occur quite often in California, but you don’t feel most of them. They’re usually so small on the Richter Scale that they go unnoticed. On average, there are over 10,000 earthquakes per year in California. That’s over 800 a month! 

Just a few days ago, Japan received a 6.7 level earthquake that mainly targeted Hokkaido. Dozens were killed and many were injured in this extreme earthquake that even caused landslides that destroyed homes. I asked Sophomore,  Noah Cryder, what he would do in the situation that he had family that was threatened by natural disasters, and he said this, “I would probably be really worried. I would do anything to help someone in need, but I don’t know if I could do anything but hope if I’m that far away from them.”

What I do know is that we as humans take our living conditions for granted, and a place like Kentucky is pretty safe compared to these places.