Christopher Robin Film Review

Moe Wheat in front of the Christopher Robin poster at the Cinemark movie theater.

Moe Wheat

Moe Wheat

Moe Wheat, Arts Editor

Christopher Robin, a film that shows off tear-jerking scenes and nostalgia, hit theaters August 3, 2018. It tells the story of Christopher Robin, Winnie the Pooh’s best friend, all grown up and working hard as a business man. His dedication to his career causes marriage problems and feuds between he and his daughter.

With 71% on Rotten Tomatoes, there are mixed opinions on how well this movie took. Peter Debruge on Variety wrote, “It won’t make you love the silly old(er) bear any less, but you can feel a tiny part of your childhood dying in the process.” Others, such as Sandie Angulo Chen on Common Sense Media, believed, “Like Pooh himself, this family “dramedy” is cozy, cuddly, and sweet, if not particularly nuanced or brisk.”

While some believe that it “ruined” their childhood, it still was undeniably successful, making $136.5 million in the box office, and having a 95% approval rating based on Google users.

As someone who saw the movie, I, personally, agree with Sandie Angulo Chen. Christopher Robin was heartwarming and nostalgic, especially for those who grew up with Winnie The Pooh. During the first half, which was full of heart-wrenching and melancholic scenes, there was nothing more I wanted to do than comfort Pooh and Christopher Robin. Towards the second half of the movie, comprised of a happy score and scenes of Christopher Robin’s family and members of the Hundred-Acre Woods coming together, I was uplifted and ended up leaving the movie feeling more satisfied and at peace than when I was going in.

I believe that this movie deserved every positive review it received.

About the Contributor
Moe Wheat, Arts Editor

Moe Wheat is a senior at Lafayette high school. This is her first year working with the Lafayette Times. She is the editor of the Arts section. She plans on graduating in December, and going to college the following year for creative writing. She enjoys both writing and reading, and is hoping to have a book of her own published someday.

• Christopher Robin Film Review

Opinion

Group Work for a Grade?

• Christopher Robin Film Review

Opinion

Are we Given Enough Time During Class Change?

• Christopher Robin Film Review

Opinion

Fall Break Falls Short

• Christopher Robin Film Review

Advice

Easy Halloween Costumes for School

• Christopher Robin Film Review

Opinion

New Library Hours

• Christopher Robin Film Review

Opinion

Hair Dye not Hair Distraction

• Christopher Robin Film Review

Opinion

Why the Mindful Minute is A Good Idea

• Christopher Robin Film Review

Advice

Incoming Freshman Guide

• Christopher Robin Film Review

Opinion

Workshop Style Classes: Yea or Nay?

• Christopher Robin Film Review

Opinion

10 Ways to Not to Be a Dunce in the Hallways

Christopher Robin Film Review