G.I.R.L.S. Club

Rebekah Dunlap

The Lafayette track where the club often runs.

Kylie Willis, Staff Writer

The Generals Inspiring Rising Lafayette Students (G.I.R.L.S) club is a program in which female students of varying ages work together towards a common goal while learning the importance of self-value and kindness. G.I.R.L.S. partners with Picadome Elementary’s participants of Girls on the Run; our older, Lafayette girls mentor the younger Picadome girls.

The club walks/runs to prepare for the 2, much anticipated, 5ks during the school year. Throughout their training, the girls learn to believe in themselves and lift each other up. One of the main goals of the club is to ensure that the girls realize their value and understand the importance of being kind. The mentors help the younger girls very much, but as the G.I.R.L.S. leader, Mrs. Chastain, says, “mentors take away a feeling of satisfaction knowing they have made a positive difference in a life of a girl.”

As you can see, everyone is engaging in a positive experience. This club sheds light on the unfortunate frequency of little confidence in young girls. The end goal is to achieve the 5ks together knowing they can do whatever they put their minds too, especially with those around them.

This club meets weekly on Thursdays after school from 3:30 to 4:15. Not much is required to join; complete the application and attend a mandatory training. Other than that, a good attitude and pair of running shoes is all you need!