National Arts Honor Society

Decorating+sugar+skulls+for+the+Day+of+the+Dead.+

Sarah Detraz

Decorating sugar skulls for the Day of the Dead.

Joey Corbin, Staff Writer

National Arts Honors Society was created to give a safe and supportive space for students who appreciate and participate in the arts. National Arts Honors Society allows these students to work together to support each other and their community through the arts.

Last year’s highlights include the collaboration with the Living Arts and Science Center for the Day of the Dead festival and a mural at the UK Family Care Center for their nursery. Their aim is to organize and create art to allow students to express themselves, but also reach out to the school community and community at large.

Ms. Detraz is the main sponsor of National Arts Honors Society and Mr. Page is her co-sponsor. Meetings are held in room 243 (Ms. Detraz’s room) and Mr. Page helps to organize bigger events. They meet every Wednesday from 3:30-5:00 pm.

Their yearly outline is currently the following:

– Day of the Dead Festival: set-up and art activity for children (from August to October)

– School involvement: look for opportunities to create and display artwork in the school (from November to December)

-Continuation of school involvement: Valentine’s Day fundraiser (from January to February)

– Gallery Exhibition: In-school display of student artwork (from March to April)

– End of the year project (to be determined each year)

The  National Arts Honors Society is currently working on a winter display for the library. This coming January the National Arts Honors Society will be preparing for their Valentine’s fundraiser, preparing kits for the UK children’s hospital for children to create their own Valentine’s Cards, and planning on a composition for an in-school mural.