Governor’s School for Entrepreneurs

Hena Kachroo, Staff Writer

Have you ever wanted to start a business, but didn’t know where to start? The Governor’s School for Entrepreneurs (GSE) can help you. GSE is a three-week program in the summer where young entrepreneurs take an idea and use STEM and enterprise skills to create a product or service. Working in teams, students will be able to build a business product from their idea. On the last day of the program, the teams will pitch their business models to a panel of judges and a live audience. This is known as Demo Day.

During GSE, students will be exposed to experienced entrepreneurs, startup tools, funding, pitch competitions, new technologies, and scholarships. GSE is completely free to apply and attend. However, the application window is only open from November 16th to January 20th. The program will be held from June 23rd to July 13th in the summer of 2019. 9th through 11th graders are eligible to apply and can apply as a team with an idea, an individual with an idea, or an individual with skills and talents for a team. If students are accepted, they can submit their experiences during the next years competition. There are also cash prizes for winning teams or individuals.

Last year, FCPS sent three students of the five dozen who applied to the Governor’s School for Entrepreneurs which ended July 14 at Transylvania University. Two of them were from Frederick Douglass and one was from Henry Clay High School. These students left with a new understanding of entrepreneurship and an eye for innovation. For questions about GSE, you can email [email protected], one of the people who run the Kentucky Entrepreneurship Education Network.