3 Important Ways To Respect Others During School.

Made by Maire Birdwell

Maire Birdwell, Features Editor

Most everyone that is reading this story attends Lafayette, so you should already know that not everyone gets along all the time.

We all have attended some sort of motivational and anti-bullying talk at some point of our lives, whether in Elementary, Middle, or High School. But, do those talks really stick with us to actually encourage a friendly school environment? Not really.

There are a few key things that you could do in order to help others in school and to create a better environment. These points are for you to take seriously!

1.  Help when help is needed!

Before I start talking about this one, I’m just going to say that people really are thankful when you are helpful. When they say thank you, it just makes you feel better about yourself. Even if you’re a shy person, there is nothing wrong or scary about helping someone. Nothing at all.

When you see someone with their hands full, and they’re trying to open one of those heavy doors around school, I say that you should open the door for them. If someone drops a lot of stuff in the middle of a busy hallway, don’t just keep walking, pick something up for that person. I can guarantee that they are feeling really awkward and embarrassed for dropping their stuff, so they would greatly appreciate the help.

Helping others really makes them feel better, and it can make you feel better too.

2. Let people do what they want to do.

This one is very important. Do not push people into doing something that they do not want to do.

For instance, let’s say someone drops their books in a hallway, and you bend down to help them. But they say “I don’t need any help.”  You should respect their decision, and continue to do what you were doing beforehand.

Here’s what not to do. If a teacher was teaching a lesson and they asked for students to raise their hands to answer a question, but they choose someone who DIDN’T have their hand up, that is not being respectful. That student simply doesn’t want to answer, and no one should force someone to do something if they didn’t volunteer.

3. Be Kind. Always.

The last thing Lafayette needs is negativity. Being kind is very important to practice everyday.

Being kind to your teachers enhances your relationship with them. Doing so will make you feel better and your teachers, who work very hard, will really appreciate you.

Being kind to people you aren’t friends with is an improvement in the school reputation as well. Knowing that you don’t know these people, you can always just say “Hello!” or give them a smile when you pass them in the hallway.

Being kind to your friends is obvious, but just as important. It encourages a healthy relationship between your friends.

So,

These three important ways to respect others during your time at Lafayette will improve the environment greatly, and spread positive energy. Hopefully these key ideas will stay with you for the rest of your time here at Lafayette.