From Lafayette to Broadway: The Story Of Colton Ryan

Rebekah Dunlap, Staff Writer/Photography Editor

As many of you who have gone to Lafayette know, Lafayette is very proud of their alumni. The faces of past students are draped on the walls of the hallways with their accomplishments since graduating. There are many alumni whose accomplishments could lead them to receiving a place on these walls. One of these former students is Colton Ryan, who is currently on Broadway in the musical Dear Evan Hansen as a standby for the roles of Evan Hansen, Connor Murphy, & Jared Kleinman. I had the privilege of getting to ask Colton some questions about his time at Lafayette.

RD: What years did you attend Lafayette?

CR: I attended Lafayette from 2009-2013.

RD: Were there any activities you took part of during your time here?

CR: I was apart of the choir for all four years, the theater program at SCAPA and Lafayette, and the lacrosse team.

RD: What was your SCAPA major and how long were you apart of the program?

CR: I was a voice major in 4th and 5th grade, band in 6th and 7th, and theater for the rest.

RD: What was one thing you enjoyed most about going to school at Lafayette?

CR: I loved that Lafayette was a hybrid of so many niches and talents. The school was so open to different paths. The football kids went to the plays and vice versa. It was a nice environment to grow up in. It’s a very tolerant and respectful place.

RD: What have you been doing since graduation?

CR: Since graduation, I went to Baldwin Wallace University and got my Bachelor’s in Music. I left school a bit early to join the broadway company of Dear Evan Hansen. That’s where I’m at!

RD: How did SCAPA/Lafayette help prepare you for where you are now?

CR: SCAPA/Lafayette instilled a passion that made us graduates prepared to take the artist’s path. I think I am where I am now because they made me so hungry to keep learning about  a craft and the literature that went with it. The times that we spent reading, studying, and performing Tennessee Williams, Shaw, Mamet, etc. in our Junior and Senior years of Highschool made us ready for so much more. It’s not common that a school gives you that kind of resource. I attribute all of my success thus far to SCAPA and Lafayette put me at seventeen-years old.