School Profile: Mental Health Support Staff

Amanda+Goldsmith%2C+Lafayettes+psychologist+

Rebekah Dunlap

Amanda Goldsmith, Lafayette’s psychologist

Zaida Bell-Frantz, Clubs Editor

Being a teenager is rough. With keeping up with grades and maintaining friendships, it can be hard. That’s why we have our school psychologist and social worker. They’re here to help you with anything you need, from home life to school life; they just want to help.

Julia Bennington is Lafayette’s social worker. She is a licensed clinical social worker, which means she provides clinical therapy to our students. She is also in charge of monitoring truancy/attendance concerns with students at Lafayette. Since 2014, Ms. Bennington has been Lafayette’s GSA faculty advisor. She has a Master’s degree in Social Work (mental health path) and has been a social worker for 31 years. At Lafayette, Ms. Bennington works with students, parents, and faculty throughout the day addressing psychological and emotional concerns that can block academic success.

“Through relationship-building, crisis intervention, assessment of needs, supportive counseling & prevention programs, school social workers, such as myself, help young people overcome the difficulties in their lives, and as a result, give them a better chance at succeeding in school.” -Julia Bennington

“If you would like assistance or would just like to chat, please feel free to stop by my office which is in the front English hallway between Mrs. Franklin and Mrs. Trammel’s rooms; I am in room 203A. Right outside my door, there are slips of paper that you can fill out and slide under my door (if my door is closed, which means that I’m with someone else or on the phone) and as soon as I am free, I will call for you to come back so we can chat. You can also email me anytime at [email protected]” – Julia Bennington

Amanda Goldsmith is Lafayette’s psychologist. Her job “as a school psychologist is to assist in understanding barriers to student learning/performance, assist in designing educational support plans, provide direct assistance during crises, and collaborate with other student support personnel to connect students to more regular support in the community. School psychologists focus on behaviors that enhance or impact the educational environment. We have specialized training in how developmental, educational, social, and cognitive delays affect the educational needs of students. I do see students when necessary/appropriate, but it is typically most appropriate for a student to see their counselor or the school social worker first. My primary role here is to conduct evaluations to identify and address barriers to learning, provide short-term counseling to target school-based concerns, and make referrals.”- Dr. Goldsmith.

If you would like to speak with her you can go to her office and you can set up a time to discuss a concern. If she is not available or in the building you can have a teacher or guidance counselor email her.