College Admission Controversy

Emma Taylor, Staff Writer

Last week, a story broke about wealthy, often famous, parents who essentialy bought their children a spot at prominant colleges. The scandal, dubbed “Varsity Blues”, resulted in a stingthat ended with 50 people being charged for being involved in a scheme to get unqualified children into top colleges.Yale University, the University of Southern California, Stanford University, UCLA, the University of San Diego, the University of Texas, Wake Forest University, and Georgetown University are all of the schools impacted by the college admission scam.

It has been revealed that many parents and celebrities have paid money as a bribe to colleges to improve the chances of their children getting accepted. Some parents have even paid amounts between $15,000 to $75,000 for someone else to take the ACT and SAT for their children. People have been paid to make athletic profiles for students, so it seems like they were highly successful athletes throughout high school. Around fifty people have been charged so far, including 33 parents, nine college coaches, and a mix of standardized test administrators and test proctors.

This whole situation has made applying to colleges unfair for students who have tried to get in legitimately, with good grades and the typical activities that look good on college applications. The investigation began May of 2018. It involved around 200 federal agents throughout six different states. Students who attend the eight affected schools are planning on suing because they were denied a fair opportunity for admission.

The effect this scandal has had and will have on current high school students is unclear.