Second Semester Starter Pack

What to expect in the second semester

Jack Dillender, Editor-in-Chief

The first semester of the 2017-2018 school year is just about over. It’s been an exciting year, however, let’s look into the future.

It’s a strange start to the semester this January. Students will come back to Lafayette on Wednesday, January 3rd (a B-day), whereas we usually come back on Mondays. A week later, the 10th, report cards will be sent out. The following Monday, the 15th, will be Martin Luther King Jr. day and schools will be closed. Presidents’ Day on February 19th and a weather make-up day on March 16th will be the only days before spring break that we are scheduled to have off. However, this does not include snow days and the Old Farmer’s Almanac predicts many snow showers in January.

February is uneventful besides getting off on Presidents’ Day, of course. We have a day off in March on the 19th (as mentioned earlier), however, this is a possible weather make-up day, which will probably be used. If the make-up day does remain free, juniors could take advantage of this time to study for the ACT, which will take place on the Tuesday of the following week on the 20th. This is an important test for all juniors, so they should plan accordingly and sleep well on Monday the 19th.

After that, it should be easy coasting through the rest of the year. Spring break is from April 2nd to the 6th. The next week on Thursday, April 12th, midterms will be sent out.

May will be an interesting month. The 22nd will be Election day, meaning no classes for students. If there are no snow days, school would be let out for summer later that week on the 25th of May. This would make Monday the B4 and B2 finals and school would be out on Tuesday, which would be great for studying. Students would then come back to finish the week of finals and enjoy the summer.