• Seniors: Register to vote no later than April 22 to vote in the May Primary
  • Spring Break is April 1-5
  • Seniors! Look for information on our Senior Edition on our Instagram account!
  • Check out our Twitter and Instagram @lafayettetimes

What is the Acts of Kindness Club?

Natalie Butler
Lafayette students making cards for retirement homes. Taken February 6th, 2024

On the Lafayette Club’s website, there is a club called the Lafayette High School Acts of Kindness (AoK) club. Around three years ago, Ms. Lester, a Spanish teacher here at Lafayette, volunteered to sponsor the club with the help of a few Lafayette students. But what exactly is the AoK club?

The Lafayette Acts of Kindness club is a charity-like after-school program where Lafayette students commit to bringing small acts of kindness to the community. The AoK club met for the first time this year on February 6th. During the meeting, they created cards for elderly people in nursing homes for Valentine’s Day. More meetings are sure to follow throughout the rest of this semester.

The Times interviewed Mrs. Lester to share more information about the club with students and staff. Mrs. Lester commented on the club, saying, “The club was started a few years ago. A few girls came to me and wanted to do an Acts of Kindness club, and they had many ideas already for the stuff they wanted to do.” The AoK Club was started by students and is led by students even today. “So these girls, now juniors in college, knew me well and thought I would want to do it, and I did.” Mrs. Lester is at the club to help maintain the club, and most of the project ideas come from members.

Mrs. Lester told The Times that the club’s overall goal is to spread kindness to Lafayette students and staff and to expand to the local community. Mrs. Lester added, “When we first started, our goal was to help Lafayette students and staff because we knew they had so many needs. We really wanted to do what we could to help with student needs.”

We asked Mrs. Lester what her favorite part of the AoK club is. She told The Times, “My favorite part is listening to students try to decide what they want to do. Honestly, I would say that I have not done much with the club at all. I am just an adult, and that is it.” Members of the club put their personal touches on the acts that the group performs, which can be fun for students who want to help others in a more personal way.

The next AoK meetings will be announced on the Lafayette Act of Kindness Club’s Instagram page. You can message AoK’s Instagram account @lhs_aokclub for more information on donations, meetings, and other questions.

The Lafayette Acts of Kindness club is free for students to join. The club focuses on spreading small acts of kindness to the community to improve people’s experiences in and around Lafayette. Thank you, Mrs. Lester, for meeting with us and contributing to making a better and kinder Lafayette High School community.