• Have a great summer, Generals! See you next year!
  • Graduation May 30th, 2024, 10 at Rupp Arena
  • Check out our Instagram @lafayettetimes

Running: The Mental Health Benefits

An image of Lafayette girls cross country runners, Sarah Boyd (Left), Ava Gentner (Middle), and Katelyn Conrad (Right) at a cross country meet during the 2023 season. August 19, 2023.

It is a common misconception that running long distances only improves physical health. Running is a type of exercise that improves not only physical but also mental health. When you go out on a run and hit the pavement, your body releases endorphins, essentially natural mood boosters. Running has many mental health benefits, such as reducing stress, anxiety, and even symptoms of depression. Running is a therapy session, but just on the go.

When you lace up your running shoes and head out for your run, your body starts to release endorphins. This causes what is known as a “runner’s high”. “Runner’s high” is a term used to describe the lasting feeling of bliss during exercise or running. A professor at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, David Linden, wrote on running and the mental health benefits. Linden found that “Exercise has a dramatic antidepressant effect… it blunts the brain’s response to physical and emotional distress.” These natural chemicals produced while running leave you feeling happy and relaxed afterward, feeling carefree about any emotional stress you were experiencing before.

Additionally, running can be an amazing stress reliever. While running, your focus shifts to the rhythm of your breathing and the movement of your body. This can help you clear your mind and any worries that you have. It allows your body to focus on only the task at hand: running. The sense of accomplishment you will feel afterward will always boost your confidence and overall mood.

Lafayette High School offers many opportunities for students to begin their running journey. The Lafayette Cross Country and Track and Field teams focus on this stress-relieving sport. The Times interviewed two Lafayette Cross Country and Track and Field distance runners: sophomores Cailie Tyson and Caroline Fritz. When asked if they felt less stressed and more motivated after their run, they both said yes. “100%. After school when we have practice, I’m always exhausted, but when I start moving after sitting all day, I feel so much better. Not just at practice but my runs in general,” said Fritz.

Tyson continues to discuss the benefits of running by saying,“…it definitely helps improve my mental health. Whenever I feel like I am super tired, I go for a run, and I always feel ten times better and more productive. After my runs, I feel happier, and I always look forward to it because of all the stress from school and how well running alleviates all of it.”

Running is not only a physical activity; it is an extremely beneficial tool for enhancing the mental health and mindful well-being of athletes. The release of the endorphins during “runners high” uplifts your mood and reduces the level of stress placed on your body. The focus that is required during running can significantly help to improve the overall mental clarity of your mind. The benefits you experience from your run continue beyond the run itself. You will begin to experience better sleep and a mental attitude that leaves you feeling brand new. The next time that you are feeling overwhelmed or stressed consider hitting the pavement and going for a relaxing jog. Your body and your mind will no doubt thank you for it.