• Have a great summer, Generals! See you next year!
  • Graduation May 30th, 2024, 10 at Rupp Arena
  • Check out our Instagram @lafayettetimes

Best Restaurants with Outdoor Seating for Summer

Mirabel Anderson
Canva graphic created on May 23rd, 2024

With summer coming up, it is nice to get outside and enjoy the warm weather. One thing you can enjoy doing this summer is going out to different restaurants and cafes. Many places are great for summer because of their outdoor seating and activities. There are so many interesting places in and around Lexington to visit.

The first place on the list to visit is Crank and Boom. Crank and Boom is a local ice cream shop founded in Lexington, Kentucky. It’s known for its specialty flavors and freshly made waffle cones. There are two locations in Lexington: on Clays Mill Road and in the Distillery District. Visiting Crank and Boom at the Distillery District location is a great summer activity due to its nice outdoor seating, cold treats, and comfortable environment.

Next on the list is Goodfellas Pizza, a local Kentucky-local restaurant. With two locations in Lexington, the Distillery District has great outdoor seating space for summer. Goodfellas serves delicious New York-style pizza in large quantities. The outdoor seating is alongside Town Branch Creek, providing a water view.

Interested in another pizza place? Miguel’s is a great place to try out as well. While Miguel’s is not located in Lexington, it is still highly popular because it is located near the Red River Gorge. After a long day hiking or climbing at the Gorge, it is a great place to stop by for some pizza. They have outdoor seating and basketball courts if you want to play a game while waiting for food. Ethan Abrams, a student at Lafayette, said, “I love Miguel’s. It’s one of my favorite places after hiking at the Gorge. I love going with friends and family, and visiting in the summer is super fun.”

Lexington also has great local food besides pizza. Boonedogs is a local restaurant serving gourmet hotdogs, burgers, specialty sides, and appetizers. A personal favorite for me is their “Brunch Dog,” that is the perfect balance of sweet and salty with pancake battered breakfast sausage and an egg with cheese grits. It is located on Old Richmond Road and views beautiful horse farms. Along with outdoor seating, they also have a jumbo chess board, cornhole, and trivia nights. It’s a good place to bring friends and a convenient place to stop for lunch or dinner after hiking at Raven Run.

The Windy Corner market and restaurant on Bryan Station Road are other options to try out sometime in the nice weather. Windy Corner is a spectacular local restaurant with delicious brunch, lunch, and dinner. Some of the things they are known for are their Sunday brunch menu and variety of po-boys. Located on the border of some of Kentucky’s most famous horse farms, it is a gorgeous experience to drive out there and soak in the horse capital on your way to great food outside.

The final place on the list is the Kentucky Native Cafe. Located downtown on Maxwell Street, this local cafe serves great small appetizers and has a comfortable outdoor space with beautiful greenery. It also shares a space with Michler’s Florist, Greenhouse, and Garden Design, so you can visit Michler’s and browse for plants while you’re there.

All of these places are welcoming and have a great outdoor atmosphere to enjoy the warm weather. They are also all located close by, so they are convenient places to stop for food or a treat. I highly recommend visiting these places and trying out some of their delicious food with family and friends this summer.