LHS Cheer Goes to Orlando

Hannah Sever, Staff Writer

The Lafayette Cheerleaders are going to Orlando, Florida to compete at Nationals! What the cheerleaders work for all year long is for this competition. This is the first year for Lafayette in which they have an all girl Varsity team and Coed Junior Varsity team. This year, Varsity is trying to make the top ten, or finals, at Nationals which is very hard to do considering they will compete against over 50 teams, all of which had to qualify from regional competitions to go to Nationals.

In order to even get there spot at Nationals, there has been a lot of work involved. They began practicing in June and fundraising frequently ever since in order to prepare. Since Lafayette has two teams this year, they have had to practice and fundraise a lot more than usual. Prior to nationals, cheerleaders have worked Legends baseball games, sold candy bars, sold mums, sponsored a Lil General Cheer Camp, ran the Lafayette boys’ basketball concessions, and even more. Each team practices about 6 hours a week at a minimum with games in between practices!

As you can probably tell, the cheerleaders put a lot of work into getting to go to nationals and trying to place well. Coach Trisko says that they have had lots of fun with the Coed team and they would like more boys to come out for auditions next year. The cheerleaders also plan to run a concession stand at the University of Kentucky football games next year which they are hoping that Lafayette students and staff can come visit the stand. Our cheerleaders have put in a lot of work this year, lets wish them luck at Nationals. Go Generals!