Lafayette Winter Guard Performance

Hannah Sever, Staff Writer

Have you ever seen Lafayette High School Marching Band? If not, search them on YouTube. They won their 19th KMEA State Championship this year. If you have watched the band perform at half time, you probably have ever spotted the people spinning the flags and rifles and all dressed up.  That’s  the Color Guard. They have a program in the winter after the band season. It is a program that is competitive for Guards across the country and is performed in a gym with just the Color Guards, no live band.

Winter guard is indoor color guard. The Winter guard’s competitive shows combine of the use of flags, sabers, (mock) rifles, and other equipment, as well as dance and other interpretive movement.

This year’s program is about female Vikings called Shield Maidens. It’s about how strong and beautiful women are. Using a combination of spinning and dancing, it is an absolute beautiful performance. The Lafayette Winter Guard Program is definitely something that is worth your while. They are having a community performance on March 11th at Lafayette High School’s gym at two o’clock. It is $2 at the door. Proceeds from ticket sales and donations will help the Guard get to WGI, or Winter Guard International Championship.

Please, watch their program Writer’s Block from last winter. I hope to see you at Lafayette’s community performance on March 11th, the show is always fun to watch!