School Walkouts

School+Walkouts

Jack Dillender, Editor-in-Chief

Throughout the country, there have been set many plans for students to silently protest and gain legislation to end gun violence after the Stoneman Douglass shooting. The Women’s March Youth Organizers have set up that on March 14th at 10 am during school hours, students will leave classes and go outside and participate in protest for 17 minutes, one minute for each of the students and staff killed at Stoneman Douglass.

Today, Mr. Jacobs sent out an email saying what March 14th will be like for those who wish to participate in the walkout.

1. The National School Walkout at 10 a.m. on March 14 and will last 17 minutes to honor the 17 students and staff members killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

2. Students who choose to engage in our assembly will be permitted to exit the back of our building to the Band Lot during class transition between 1st and 2nd block. We will have a stage and microphone system set up.

3. The program will be completely student developed with support provided by members of our Social Studies Department. It will last 17 minutes and will include student speeches, poetry readings and will conclude with a Moment of Silence in honor of all victims of gun violence in schools. The students will then remain silent and transition back into the building and return to their 2nd block classes.

Principal Jacobs and the rest of our school is organizing to show how we feel on what is happening in this country. There are schools that are threatening students that walk out with suspension. I am very proud of our school and Principal Jacobs for agreeing to this walkout and supporting students ideas and feelings on issues.

Students that wish to not participate can simply go to their 2nd block. To those who do not agree with the ideas: Please understand the position of those that would like to participate and be respectful to those who are. Everyone has their ideas and opinions and attacking someone else’s is a immature way to deal with those you disagree with.

I will be at the walkout interviewing students on their opinions on the topics, feel free to find me and give me a statement.