Lafayette Marching Band Attends Quarterfinals

Sherri McPherson

Lafayette band clarinet section warms up for the quarterfinals performance.

Sarah McPherson, Staff Writer

The Lafayette Band went to the KMEA state Quarterfinals. Quarterfinals is the first round of the state-wide competition for marching band. Last Saturday (10/20) bands all across the state participated if they qualified. There are two regional locations for each class, one in the east and and one in the west. Lafayette attended the 5a east competition at Tates Creek high school. Quarterfinals consists of only one performance that is ranked to see if the band moves on to Semifinals the following weekend. Sixteen bands from each class will progress to Semifinals.

The Lafayette band placed second in the competition with a score of 83.20 and will moving on to semifinals. They claimed the Visual Effect caption. The Lafayette band is honored to uphold its 80-year tradition of excellence by attending state. The band aims to preform well at semifinals and be one the four 5a finalist bands in the state. They hope to take home their 20th state championship this Saturday, October 27.

Here is what Emery Grimm, a freshman in the band, had to say about the Quarterfinals performance, “It was hard to get 2nd, but we were up against some good bands. We still have another week until state, so if we focus and work hard, we can wear that blue medal around our necks”.