Kentucky Governor’s School For The Arts Moves To Lexington

Hena Kachroo, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, the University of Kentucky and the Kentucky Center for the Arts announced that the annual three week arts program for rising juniors and seniors, would be held at Holmes Hall. The program has been held at Centre College for the last 4 years  (2014-2018). Before that time, it was held at Transylvania University for 14 years.

The Governor’s Scholar Program hosts over 200 students in the following nine fields: architecture and design, creative writing, dance, drama, film and photography, instrumental music, music theater, visual art, and vocal music. The program is tuition free with expenses being covered by the Kentucky Center, the Governor’s Office, Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, the Kentucky Center Endowment Fund, and Toyota Motor Manufacturing.

According to GSA (Governor’s School for the Arts), 98 percent of participants that attend the program go on to attend college. Many participants attend the University of Kentucky.

In 2019, the program will take place from June 23 to July 13. The deadline for applications is January 11th which are being accepted now at kentuckygsa.org.

Some benefits of applying for GSA are that it is a free program, you will get to learn more specifically into the art form you are interested in, and 30 colleges, both inside and outside of Kentucky, offer some scholarship opportunities to GSA alumni. In order to apply for GSA, you must currently be a sophomore or junior in high school, you must live with a parent or guardian that lives in Kentucky, complete the application process by January, and complete the recommendation process for the preliminary round. There is a fee you must pay for the application which is 30 dollars for one art form and 35 for two. Students must get one recommendation from a teacher or private instructor and one from a school administrator in order to apply. If selected as a finalist, the student will have to complete the application in March.