Charter School Advisory Council

Rebekah Dunlap

Students working in Mrs. Oniel’s English class.

Tylar Seavers, Staff Writer

A charter school is a publicly funded independent school established by teachers, students, or community groups under the terms of a charter with a local or national authority. They offer education for k-12 without charge. Charter schools  in Kentucky will receive tax dollars just like our current public schools.  Charter schools can have certain advantages that make parents choose to send their kids there.

“I went to a charter school for three years before I went to a public school. My parents decided to send me to a charter school because it was in walking distance of my house and it was a better school than the public one I was in district for,” says Sophomore Izzy Whitney.

In 2017, the Kentucky General Assembly passed a law that allows charter schools in Kentucky. Shortly after, The Charter School Advisory Council was created. The Council is made up of the Kentucky Board of Education, the School Curriculum Assessment and Accountability Council, the Education Professional Standards Board, the Local Superintendents Advisory Council, and the Legislative Research Commission. This Council was made to ensure charter schools maintain the highest quality and provide resources to the effected groups regarding charter school activities. The Council will review charter applications to The Kentucky Board of Education for final approval. They will also recommend actions relating to the appeals of charter applications, renewals of charters, non-renewals of charters, and revocations of charters.

The first meeting took place on Friday, November 9th. The agenda for the meeting included the following:

1. Welcome and overview of the agenda 
  2. Review and feedback on Charter School Regulations Pursuant (Charter school student application, lottery and enrollment,Evaluation of charter school authorizes , Charter school appeal process , Conversion charter school petition, conversion and operation)
  3. Questions and feedback from advisory group members
  4. Finalize and adjourn 

There was a lot to discuss such as whether the charter schools would take money from public schools funding, Some parties said that they do not believe many students would attend charter schools. Therefore, making the funds for the school insufficient. The talk will continue between the council and the citizens of Kentucky. The group will meet again in January.