Lafayette Girls Basketball Beats Dunbar

Emma Taylor, Sports Writer

Lafayette’s Girls Basketball team played in a home game against Paul Laurence Dunbar on Thursday, January 3rd. Both JV and Varsity participated in games. Lafayette’s varsity team won their game with a score of 69 points, winning by 14 points. This was Lafayette’s 43rd district win over Dunbar. After winning against Dunbar, Lafayette has a win over every rival in the district, except for Lexington Catholic.

Throughout the game, the scores weren’t very close with Lafayette in the lead. At the end of the third quarter, Dunbar was only two points behind. Fortunately, Lafayette got ahead in the fourth quarter and won the game. Seniors Lindi DeBilzan and Macey Goff scored a combined total of 50 points for Lafayette.

Lafayette’s Coach Denton and player Lindi DeBilzan spoke to Josh Moore, a journalist at Kentucky.com about the game. When asked about Lafayette’s lead in the game, Lindi said, “We always like getting in front, it gives a lot of momentum.” She also states that games like these are memorable when you fight back harder, overcome, and win.

During the game, Lafayette senior Lindi DeBilzan became the newest member of the 1000 Point Club, meaning she scored 1000 points throughout her high school basketball career. This is a major feat and not many people have accomplished this. Scoring 1000 points throughout your 4 years of high school is something that takes years of hard work and dedication towards the game.

Since this game, Lafayette has won against Lexington Catholic, Bryan Station High School, and Paris High School. Tonight, Lafayette will be playing a game against Madison Central High School. Another win for the generals is anticipated, as it will add on to their current winning streak.