Lafayette LEGIT Applications

Emma Taylor, Staff Writer

The Youth Service Center is looking for students to lead this year’s Lafayette LEGIT program. According to Ms. Chastain, “LEGIT is a transition program for current 8th grade students who will be attending Lafayette High School.” Students chosen for the Lafayette LEGIT program will be leaders for the incoming freshman in the 2019-2020 school year. A Lafayette LEGIT leader leads guided tours, gives class presentations, and is an Ambassador to all things Lafayette.

According to the 2019 LEGIT application, an ideal LEGIT leader is someone who is comfortable speaking to groups of people, has the ability to follow directions, is dependable, and has successfully transitioned from middle school to high school. Students who have a history of poor decision making, discipline referrals, low grades, and poor attendance will not be selected for the LEGIT program.

The application asks several questions about talking with next year’s incoming freshman. Some of these questions are, “What advice would you give an incoming 8th grader about attending Lafayette High School?” and, “List three good icebreaker questions you could user to start a conversation with an 8th grader?” The application also asks about your transition from middle school to high school, what challenges you faced, and what helped you adjust.

Being a Lafayette LEGIT leader is a great way to add on to your resume. Applications can be found in front of the Youth Service Center (Room 166) and are due by Monday March, 4th.

For those selected to become a LEGIT leader, there are two mandatory training sessions after school on March 21st and March 28th from 3:30 to 4:30 P.M.