SBDM Parent Rep Elections

Hena Kachroo

The online SBDM application.

Hena Kachroo, Staff Writer

On Thursday, April 11th, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. the Lafayette High School PTSA will hold a brief parent SBDM information meeting in Lafayette’s library. At this meeting, parents will be able to learn more about the SBDM council, parent representative role and responsibilities, and SBDM’s election details.

A SBDM parent council member has to be a parent, stepparent, foster parent, or legal guardian of a student attending the school during the council member’s term in office. Parents of incoming 9th-grade students are eligible to run. A parent cannot join if they are an employee or relative of an employee (father, mother, brother, sister, husband, wife, son, daughter, aunt, uncle, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, etc.) of that school, the district central office, a local school board member, or the spouse of a school board member.The Fayette County SBDM office supervises School-Based Decision Making councils by working with school councils to ensure educational and legal compliance. The councils are composed of teachers, parents, and administrators. The office works to make sure the highest possible achievement is reached by all students. For more information on SBDM, you can visit the FCPS website.