How Much Make-Up Work Should we Get?

Lauren Mitchell, Staff Writer

School is a place of constant work and learning, but sometimes you’re not there for it. When absent, a student needs to make up all the work they missed, occasionally situations occur when they can’t handle the workload.

There are many reasons a student may miss school. Due to their absence, they missed assignments, thus it would be challenging for them to do all of it afterwards. So, instead of just piling a bunch of work on them, we set more rules. For example, depending on the situation the person should have more available opportunities for help with their work and more time for it to be turned in. On the occasion, when a student is absent most teachers will enter their grade as missing, which can be stressful to them.

Instead, the work shouldn’t be entered until their time to turn in their work is allotted. It will prevent them from feeling stressed and allow them to work more relaxed and not feel rushed. It can also help with the parents because I know many student’s parents watch their grades and are always on their case when they get a bad grade. So by doing this, it will keep them from feeling pressure from their parents.

In conclusion, there should be some limits in how much make up work a student has to do especially depending on the situation. There should also be more available opportunities for homework help.