• Seniors: Register to vote no later than April 22 to vote in the May Primary
  • Spring Break is April 1-5
  • Seniors! Look for information on our Senior Edition on our Instagram account!
  • Check out our Twitter and Instagram @lafayettetimes

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Joey Hester
The poster for The Rocky Horror Picture Show outside of the Kentucky Theater, shortly after a screening of Rocky Horror on September 23.

Rocky Horror Picture Show, often affectionately known as Rocky or Rocky Horror, is a cultural phenomenon and cult classic in the queer community. But what makes this movie so great?

The film depiction of Rocky Horror was released on September 26, 1975, but it was not the first the world saw of Rocky. Rocky first came to fame as a musical in 1973, premiering at the Royal Court Theater and quickly spreading throughout London. The musical reached major success and quickly had a film adaptation made within the next two years. The film adaptation was also a major hit almost immediately after premiering. The film attracted many new fans to Rocky as well as supported returning fans who viewed the film every week.

Soon, due to the popularity of the movie, it became one of the longest-running films in history. Many people were returning to see the films and it became so popular that fans often recited the lines as they were said on screen. This line-reciting quickly evolved into the callbacks we know today.

Rocky Horror continued its streak of fame and has evolved in many ways. One of the most prevalent evolutions is the introduction of a shadow cast. This is a group of actors who perform the show while the movie is playing in the background. This not only adds new elements of excitement to the show but it also helps the show to be more immersive. A shadow cast is also often different for every screening which makes every show unique.

Here in Lexington, we have our very own Rocky Horror Picture Show performances. Once a month, performed by the Master’s Affairs theater group. This group is solely dedicated to performing Rocky Horror. Rocky Horror is typically performed once a month by this group at the Kentucky Theater. This cast is amazing and includes activities, such as an egg race, throwing toilet paper in the air, and getting up to follow along to the dance in the movie.

One of the most notable segments of the Kentucky Theaters Rocky Horror is the consistent drag show before each screening. This performance highlights the modern-day ways that things in the movie have evolved to be. This drag show is also however a political statement due to the current political climate. Due to the anti-gay and anti-trans bills that have been circulating in the U.S., many states have banned drag shows. The fact that the Master’s Affairs has chosen to continue this long-standing tradition shows where their views lie.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show has evolved so much from the show it once was. It has gained hundreds of thousands of fans and has inspired so many modern-day works. Support the art and view The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Kentucky Theater on October 28th at 8:30 and 11:59 P.M.