What Kind of Music do People Like?

Tierian Lawhon, Staff Writer

Music taste varies for everyone that listens to it, and while some music may be more popular than others, most of us have a preference, popular genre or not.

Clearly the most popular genre of music among youth (or just students in general) is rap/Hip Hop.  Even though Rock and roll was the most popular music genre for approximately 90 or so years, Hip hop has surpassed rock ever since last year, making a huge historical event in terms of music. For instance, the most popular album last year was Kendrick Lamar’s DAMN. Plus, 8 of the 10 most listened to music artists were rappers according to Billboard year-end artist chart in 2017, including Drake, and my personal favorite, Kendrick Lamar.

Of course it’s not like Rap and Rock and Roll are the only music genres out there. Pop is almost on par with rap, rock is still popular, country has a big following in Kentucky and other southern states. There’s also EDM, or electronic dance music that has been pretty stagnant for a little while, there’s also jazz, metal, alternative, and countless others. I’m sure you may be surprised if you asked some of the people you see on a daily basis what kind of music they like. Just because you don’t know what that musice is, doesn’t mean that it has no following.

So whether or not you like rap or even country, it doesn’t matter as long as you enjoy it for what it’s worth.