• Seniors: Register to vote no later than April 22 to vote in the May Primary
  • Spring Break is April 1-5
  • Seniors! Look for information on our Senior Edition on our Instagram account!
  • Check out our Twitter and Instagram @lafayettetimes

Managing School Stress

Katherine Stallins
Students at Lafayette High School help each other work on a project. Photo taken on September 28th, 2023

School often becomes a source of significant stress, leaving many wondering how they can navigate through it. Considerably large amounts of school work, complicated schedules, and lack of sleep are just a few of the reasons students may have a more difficult time at school. After conducting interviews with 16 different Lafayette students about the stress they feel at school, measured on a scale of 1-10. The average tended to be around 6.5. 9 of those 16 people reported that schoolwork was a leading cause of their stress. “Schoolwork has had a lot of effects on my mood and well-being. When it would pile up, everything would seem worse than it actually was,” exclaimed Lafayette student, Brody Antrobus. After getting the average of the number of students who felt stressed at school, it seems that he can speak for many.

Some students claim that assignments can get even more stressful when they pile up. Since many students in this school seem to have increased stress because of schoolwork, here are some ways you can work through the assignments without panicking. The first tip is to create a schedule. Planning can sometimes feel unnecessary and annoying, but it surprisingly helps a lot more than you’d think. It can help you sort out all of your thoughts, and bring down your stress levels. You’d know what to expect and what you’re working towards and provides a clear goal.

Another idea you can try and use is to take your schoolwork in baby steps and reward yourself as you go. For example, when you have a certain amount of work to get through, you can separate them and make a goal to do a certain amount each day. After you finish that set amount, you can reward yourself with someone you enjoy. This could include eating a food you like or watching an episode of your favorite show. Rewarding yourself after doing work increases dopamine levels in your brain. This will put you in a better mood and help you sleep. It sends a message to your brain that you are able to succeed and do good things.

If you are ever feeling too overwhelmed and don’t feel as though those other methods will help you, you can try talking to your teacher about it. Discuss how it is making you stressed, and they can help you come up with solutions. The due date could be pushed back, or you can schedule time to meet with your teacher outside of school to give you more of an advantage. You and your teacher could also work together to figure out a system to reduce your stress and also help you to be more productive when working.

Hopefully, this article helped you to find more methods to work through your school-related stress. It’s always smart to have good habits. It will improve your mood and attitude, as well as your life in general. You can influence those around you by having these habits set in.